Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
I have these two quads of EL34s labeled VAC from the VAC90 amps I worked on four years ago.Anyway,I ended up putting KT77s in along with a host of other upgrades but being these looked so nice, I decided to give them a spin in the Eico HF60s.These tubes have a smooth and full bodied sound with a very dynamic bottom end.Like most EL34s IMHO,they do lack some presence in the top of the treble range but it's not necessarily a bad thing because you do hear the symbols and the shimmer of certain percussions so they are doing a decent job.
I am thoroughly convinced that EL34s are very circuit dependent and can give a very satisfying sound under the right circuit conditions. Unfortunately, amps like the stock Dynaco ST70 gave the EL34 a lot of bad rap because of cloudy overcast and limitations in the upper and lower extremes.I still prefer the KT77 and the 6L6 tube family however,I'm getting to like the EL34 a bit more.I have heard EL34s in a Citation 2 biased at 50ma and they sounded very good.I have also heard them in a pair of my Mc60s three years ago and again,they didn't lack any detail or dynamics in either amp. In the MAC amps,i did lower the negative bias by minus 6.8v at idle so the tubes would draw enough current at full power.
Now,here is my question. Who made these tubes for VAC? They look like the Mullard Matsushita but my gut tells me they are Shuggies. The bottles are bigger around than any EL34 other than the 6CA7 fat bottles.Take a look at the crease in the plate structure,just like Matsushita had.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - VAC 90 EL34 tubes question. - Michael Samra 00:15:37 02/03/17 (9)
- RE: VAC 90 EL34 tubes question. - SETdude 06:58:11 02/04/17 (1)
- RE: VAC 90 EL34 tubes question. - Michael Samra 01:46:03 02/05/17 (0)
- RE: VAC 90 EL34 tubes question. - AJ 08:06:05 02/03/17 (1)
- RE: VAC 90 EL34 tubes question. - DannyR 12:19:41 02/03/17 (0)
- Oh Mike are you confused again about how tubes work - airtime 07:18:56 02/03/17 (1)
- RE: Oh Mike are you confused again about how tubes work - ahendler 12:24:14 02/03/17 (0)
- There are no bad tubes, just bad circuits... - Chip647 04:44:01 02/03/17 (2)
- proper tool for the proper job... I'll run with that-nT - Cleantimestream 06:40:59 02/03/17 (1)
- RE: proper tool for the proper job... I'll run with that-nT - llwhtt 12:46:01 02/03/17 (0)