Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: RE: Most important is you control AB testing posted by DAK on February 2, 2017 at 11:59:34:
For me it was very highly circuit dependent. I have a 40 wpc PP EL34 amp my first modern tube amp. It uses 12AX7 as input tubes and 6SN7s as drivers. I could easily hear real and significant differences in the the rolled 6SN7s. More recently I use a 6SN7 pre amp the AE-3 by Cary and many of those 6sn7s were microphonic. (I am OK with that, I don't play drums on them while in use). The input tubes also demonstrated differences e.g. between used long plate Mullards and new Sino brand.
I then got an ARC SP6B pre and no matter which 12AX7s or 5751s I tried it always sounded essentially the same there was nothing I could do to change that. I even tried different 9 pin dual triodes like 12AT7s all that seem to do was pass a lot of current into my woofers scary!
Now I use a headphone amp a lot an from an out of business firm. It uses a 6SN7 input tube which is great because I have so many and the versatile 6AS7G, 6080, 5998, and so on as the power tube. It does demonstrate some differences but they are more subtle with regard to the 6SN7. The output tube differences however are obvious but not necessarily in terms of the beauty of sound, it's more about fundamentals.
I still love the hobby anyway and when people tell me to sell my tubes I say I like my tubes why sell them, I would just buy them again.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The actual act of tube rolling - justdavid 20:29:13 02/01/17 (8)
- I find listening over a few nights.. - Jonesy 18:23:46 02/02/17 (0)
- RE: The actual act of tube rolling - The Dill 13:50:30 02/02/17 (1)
- RE: The actual act of tube rolling - sony6060 15:57:17 02/02/17 (0)
- RE: The actual act of tube rolling - krankkall 08:36:36 02/02/17 (0)
- RE: The actual act of tube rolling - Tre' 20:46:42 02/01/17 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: Most important is you control AB testing - Mechans 20:23:27 02/02/17 (0)