In Reply to: RE: 4P1L preamp DIY posted by GeorgePope on March 20, 2017 at 08:01:39:
You stated that you heard a sonic improvement with a choke in place preceding the Coleman regulator. I took that at face value and my response was an attempt to explain why you heard such an improvement - that's all.
The reduced upper harmonics, is obviously a conjecture or an educated guess on my part with no concrete proof offered and the language I used reflects that. Having said that, I still think that the quite drastic reduction in the upper harmonic content put out by the choke supply, is responsible for the sonic improvement you hear, irrespective of the filament regulator. On my part I don't understand why you would think that it'd be that big of a leap to even entertain such a hypothesis. It's been common knowledge for decades now that upper harmonic distortion even at very low levels is quite detrimental.
As far as the regulator comment is concerned, I haven't seen Rod Coleman's circuit, but do you know of any regulator, be it either of the voltage or current reg variety, where the core working principle is not based on feedback? Olson's comment as quoted, is very much on the money IMO.
Maybe you misunderstood me, I don't know, but if you haven't taken a close look at the filament supply test that I linked to earlier, I would give it another shot.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 4P1L preamp DIY - Johno 06:07:19 03/17/17 (21)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - LinuxGuru 08:46:52 03/20/17 (0)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - Jim D. 07:58:53 03/20/17 (0)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - xaudiomanx 08:49:07 03/18/17 (0)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - drlowmu 06:28:21 03/18/17 (3)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - xaudiomanx 14:35:50 03/18/17 (2)
- Looks like transistor amplifier - sser2 17:22:53 03/17/17 (1)
- RE: Looks like transistor amplifier - Johno 21:30:08 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - GeorgePope 07:50:25 03/17/17 (7)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - Johno 21:42:48 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - Johno 16:45:28 03/17/17 (1)
- RE: Pics of populated boards - Johno 17:02:10 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - sideliner 11:30:20 03/17/17 (3)
- Can you post the schematic? - Triode_Kingdom 06:28:56 03/17/17 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - sideliner 11:58:06 03/20/17 (1)
- RE: 4P1L preamp DIY - GeorgePope 04:41:08 03/21/17 (0)