In Reply to: It will be rather "El Costoso" posted by sser2 on March 12, 2017 at 22:29:12:
I already have the quartet of #46s on hand. :>D I've got nice sockets too. ;>)
I have a custom filament trafo on order from Heyboer, which is not particularly expensive. The main power trafo is a stock AnTek toroid, which (again) is not a "big ticket" item and already on hand.
The PP O/P "iron" needed is simple. 3.5 Kohms end to end, without UL taps. I'm going to go for at least 35 W. power handling. An "El Cheapo" uses "textbook" GNFB that includes the O/P trafo and that requires power handling capability above the power O/P. Core saturation due to a LF error correction signal SUCKS. Stability is pretty much a non-issue, as the only caps. in the signal path are between the LTP and driver FETs.
As for Class "B2", the #46 contains 2 grids, but is always used as a triode. Tie g2 to the plate and the #46 is much like the #45. OTOH, tie g1 and g2 together and the tube is nearly cut off, with 0 VDC of bias. Look at the data sheet. A near Class "B2" operating point (slightly positive bias) to tame notching/crossover trouble is pretty (IMO) obvious, with 15+ WPC power O/P not being a stretch in the slightest.
Edits: 03/13/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - DHT "El Cheapo" - Eli Duttman 20:27:20 03/12/17 (11)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - GeorgePope 09:15:58 03/15/17 (1)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - PakProtector 09:15:19 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - TomWh 11:02:54 03/14/17 (0)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - PakProtector 08:46:57 03/14/17 (1)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - Steve O 09:14:38 03/14/17 (0)
- Nice! I have a box of 46s. Good DHT. - andy evans 02:27:24 03/13/17 (1)
- RE: Nice! I have a box of 46s. Good DHT. - Eli Duttman 03:35:08 03/13/17 (0)
- It will be rather "El Costoso" - sser2 22:29:12 03/12/17 (3)