At long last, retirement is not far off and I've started to seriously gather parts for a #46 DHT variation on the "El Cheapo" theme.
As can be seen from the #46 data sheet, the type is a "natural" for near Class "B2" operating conditions. That means MOSFET drivers between the splitter and "finals". The MOSFET drivers are pretty well settled. FWIW, my initial "guestimate" for #46 "idle" current is 7 mA. However, questions remain and I seek input from the "inmates".
I'd appreciate recommendations for a winder of the 3.5 Kohm (end to end) PP O/P transformers. The "cast of characters" I know pretty darned well. I want good reasons for why I should prefer vendor "X" over vendor "Y". This amp will use GNFB and pooh/pooh remarks about NFB will be ignored.
Another undecided area is the tube to use as the splitter. I'm debating between the 'T7 shown in the original EC or a 6J6. The 6J6 will definitely require a line stage with gain. That's not a problem, as I have good stuff already on hand and I also have a pretty kick butt 6SN7 design to use. Plenty of "dodads" will be in this amp's enclosure and getting source selection out of the picture could easily be the best choice.
Edits: 03/12/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - DHT "El Cheapo" - Eli Duttman 20:27:20 03/12/17 (11)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - GeorgePope 09:15:58 03/15/17 (1)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - PakProtector 09:15:19 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - TomWh 11:02:54 03/14/17 (0)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - PakProtector 08:46:57 03/14/17 (1)
- RE: DHT "El Cheapo" - Steve O 09:14:38 03/14/17 (0)
- Nice! I have a box of 46s. Good DHT. - andy evans 02:27:24 03/13/17 (1)
- RE: Nice! I have a box of 46s. Good DHT. - Eli Duttman 03:35:08 03/13/17 (0)
- It will be rather "El Costoso" - sser2 22:29:12 03/12/17 (3)