Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

What to do with 412 volts

I've come upon a very nice vintage Chicago transformer and choke set that features a 1000vac (CT) @125ma winding, a 470vac (CT) @100ma winding, plus 2x 6.3v and 2x 5v (no CTs). In addition, it came with 2x matching Chicago 8H chokes each rated at 125ma. Modeled in PSUDII as an LCLC, the 1000vac winding produces 412vdc using a 6ax4 rectifier and 2x 30uf caps. Ripple is .035ma (edited 3/10).

Of concern is the "125ma" rating of the PT and chokes, and the lack of center taps for any of the filament windings. I am assuming that the rating printed on the PT and chokes is based on a choke (LCLC) input PS. Is that likely a correct assumption? If so the transformer compliment suggests "300B" with separate PS for the drivers, assuming there is a solution to the "no CT" issue.

However, before I start accumulating parts for such a project, what other tube compliment might I investigate bearing in mind the voltage and current availability?

Also note that I am fully aware that these are old fashioned "high resistance" PS components, considered by some to be "low-fi". I don't wish to engage in that debate.



Edits: 03/10/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - What to do with 412 volts - BofService 17:28:26 03/08/17 (20)


Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Message:   (Posts are subject to Content Rules)
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.