In Reply to: RE: Hmm, that's surprising. posted by Dave_K on March 6, 2017 at 16:02:25:
I wouldn't pay that price for the top Boenicke 5. But disagree with some of your comments, such as "....cello lacked body." Not to my ears, and I lived with a cellist for 4 years. I liked the piano sound better on the Trenner/Friedl demo, but have no idea how much was due to the recordings, nor do you unless you own 'em.
My point about Brueninger (and the others mentioned) was not how great their recordings are, its that they are consistent. That allows some comparison, as opposed to different recording sound for different demos.
Re: comparing speakers -- Listening to youtube videos is obviously just wetting your whistle. The two alto players in the Boenicke demos (Desmond and maybe Sonny Stitt) sounded pretty realistic, but excepting the Stevie Wonder I don't own any of the recordings played in the videos. Are you familiar with the recordings used in the Boenicke demos?
I think you'd need to hear the same recordings/source/amp/pre in the same room to form better judgements - even from youtube videos. I do like the way those Trenner/Friedl speakers sounded on the clip you linked.
Re: measurements --
You're talking to the wrong guy :-) The spkrs. I've owned (and obviously liked) for decades are far from measurement champs and certainly have faults, but lots of speakers I've heard in person that measure considerably better have sounded much less desirable *to me*.
If I was gonna buy new monitor spkrs. I'd wanna audition both the Boenicke and Trenner & Friedl among others. The cost of the top Boenicke WE 5 does put me off. I'd want better for that money.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - mad speaker decision - firstname.lastname@example.org 05:51:29 03/04/17 (32)
- RE: mad speaker decision - fstein 14:14:28 03/07/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - russ69 15:39:54 03/05/17 (0)
- Best of both worlds? - E-Stat 13:48:28 03/05/17 (0)
- Dynamic contrasts... - mkuller 11:51:10 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - George S. Roland 09:44:42 03/05/17 (0)
- find a friend with a good sub woofer you can borrow....... - vinnie2 03:50:13 03/05/17 (1)
- Agreed - G Squared 04:34:20 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - Ozzy 03:46:58 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - RGA 22:49:32 03/04/17 (15)
- Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - Rick W 13:32:28 03/05/17 (14)
- I was interested in the Boenicke W5 until I researched them - Dave_K 06:39:24 03/06/17 (6)
- Hmm, that's surprising. - Rick W 09:11:21 03/06/17 (5)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - RGA 17:13:19 03/05/17 (6)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - PAR 00:59:20 03/06/17 (4)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - RGA 01:31:34 03/06/17 (3)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - Tidycat1 20:59:20 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - SgreenP@MSN.com 12:45:54 03/04/17 (0)
- Tannoy Prestige - Bill Way 12:34:31 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - Mick Wolfe 10:15:10 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - PAR 07:43:10 03/04/17 (3)
- More refined indeed... - Ivan303 08:50:03 03/04/17 (2)
- RE: More refined indeed... - PAR 09:56:12 03/04/17 (1)
- Bass is going to have to come from a well integrated sub... - Ivan303 18:11:55 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - bullethead 06:18:26 03/04/17 (0)