In Reply to: RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? posted by PAR on March 6, 2017 at 06:23:07:
Well I would not start with the measurements or go out of my way to hear them either. With so-so measuring gear I would rather the overall market decide.
As you may know I own Audio Note E speakers and before that Js and before that K's. I have been auditioning speakers for 25 years and this sound does it for me - but the measurements certainly wouldn't sway me to go out of my way to listen either. Unlike Boenicke though there is a very long track record of raves in the press that they should be worth going out of one's way - problem is with so-so measurements how does one keep that inherent bias out of the audition. When you read something and conclude "well it will be coloured or has X or Y issue" you will hear those things being predisposed to expect them. Expectation bias. Yet I don't see any of the self proclaimed objectivists running any DBTs to be sure.
It's one of the reasons I bought the great measuring LS-50 so I can crosscheck against an industry standard "good measuring" loudspeaker.
Still for around $3900-$4500 I would take the AN J/D and J/Lx as my standard to judge everything else off of. I did for 13 years. So the first questions I ask of the challenger would be:
Does it sound as good?
Is it as easy to drive?
Is it as full range - in terms of bass and dynamics?
Will it play all the genres of music in my collection as well or only some?
What will the resale value be when I sell it (and how difficult will it be to sell if I sell). A relative no name brand is harder to get rid of.
I generally prefer to stick to established entities and I think the press probably should cover the brands who have earned their place in the market over the new kid on the block vying for a seat at the table. Some company that comes along selling $10k+ products without any track record.
Since the thread has a number of youtube videos of speakers I think my Trust AN J variant does quite well.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - mad speaker decision - firstname.lastname@example.org 05:51:29 03/04/17 (32)
- RE: mad speaker decision - fstein 14:14:28 03/07/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - russ69 15:39:54 03/05/17 (0)
- Best of both worlds? - E-Stat 13:48:28 03/05/17 (0)
- Dynamic contrasts... - mkuller 11:51:10 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - George S. Roland 09:44:42 03/05/17 (0)
- find a friend with a good sub woofer you can borrow....... - vinnie2 03:50:13 03/05/17 (1)
- Agreed - G Squared 04:34:20 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - Ozzy 03:46:58 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - RGA 22:49:32 03/04/17 (15)
- Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - Rick W 13:32:28 03/05/17 (14)
- I was interested in the Boenicke W5 until I researched them - Dave_K 06:39:24 03/06/17 (6)
- Hmm, that's surprising. - Rick W 09:11:21 03/06/17 (5)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - RGA 17:13:19 03/05/17 (6)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - PAR 00:59:20 03/06/17 (4)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - RGA 01:31:34 03/06/17 (3)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - Tidycat1 20:59:20 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - SgreenP@MSN.com 12:45:54 03/04/17 (0)
- Tannoy Prestige - Bill Way 12:34:31 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - Mick Wolfe 10:15:10 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - PAR 07:43:10 03/04/17 (3)
- More refined indeed... - Ivan303 08:50:03 03/04/17 (2)
- RE: More refined indeed... - PAR 09:56:12 03/04/17 (1)
- Bass is going to have to come from a well integrated sub... - Ivan303 18:11:55 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - bullethead 06:18:26 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? - RGA 18:04:20 03/06/17 (1)
- Yep, sounds very good to me. nt - Rick W 10:22:54 03/07/17 (0)