In Reply to: Hmm, that's surprising. posted by Rick W on March 6, 2017 at 09:11:21:
I also like checking out systems via YouTube, but it can be hard to judge the sound of a system that way because recording is an art and some people are much better than others at capturing the original sound. Fred Crane (AudioPrana/Stereodesk) is one of the people who seem to do a very good job of capturing the sound of a system in a room, where you can clearly hear strengths and weaknesses in the system, and even separate them from the sound of the room. In comparison, Peter Breuninger's videos are about as good as Forrest Gump fumbling with a 1990s VHS camcorder.
I've watched a bunch of different videos of the Boenicke W5 and the one that impressed me the most is here:
In the above video, they sound well balanced. perhaps due to the unusual microphone placement well off-axis and close-up. None of the other W5 videos I've heard sound good.
The YouTube clip that you posted has a very obvious and distracting bass peak throughout, piano didn't sound good, the vocalist in the first bossa nova track and Sting sound hollow, the cello is devoid of any body, and the only part of it that sounded reasonably good to me is the acoustic guitar piece from about 17:00 to 18:30.
For comparison, here is another small speaker in the same room:
There is still some room coloration there, but on the whole it sounds A LOT better to me. Fred also has a video of the expensive Kii 3 active speakers in the same room which sounds a lot better than the Boenicke W5.
I think the following video shows off the W5 bit better:
In that video you hear a lot more room coloration because the room is quite live, but the speakers seem better balanced. In particular, the bass peak is less pronounced. But the midrange is still weak and there is still a thin, hollow coloration.
One more video of the W5 from AudioPrana:
That system sounds particularly bad to me, and if I was the owner, considering how much money is tied up in it, I would be very embarrassed.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - mad speaker decision - email@example.com 05:51:29 03/04/17 (32)
- RE: mad speaker decision - fstein 14:14:28 03/07/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - russ69 15:39:54 03/05/17 (0)
- Best of both worlds? - E-Stat 13:48:28 03/05/17 (0)
- Dynamic contrasts... - mkuller 11:51:10 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - George S. Roland 09:44:42 03/05/17 (0)
- find a friend with a good sub woofer you can borrow....... - vinnie2 03:50:13 03/05/17 (1)
- Agreed - G Squared 04:34:20 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - Ozzy 03:46:58 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - RGA 22:49:32 03/04/17 (15)
- Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - Rick W 13:32:28 03/05/17 (14)
- I was interested in the Boenicke W5 until I researched them - Dave_K 06:39:24 03/06/17 (6)
- Hmm, that's surprising. - Rick W 09:11:21 03/06/17 (5)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - RGA 17:13:19 03/05/17 (6)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - PAR 00:59:20 03/06/17 (4)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - RGA 01:31:34 03/06/17 (3)
- RE: Heard any of Boenicke's speakers? nt - Tidycat1 20:59:20 03/05/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - SgreenP@MSN.com 12:45:54 03/04/17 (0)
- Tannoy Prestige - Bill Way 12:34:31 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - Mick Wolfe 10:15:10 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - PAR 07:43:10 03/04/17 (3)
- More refined indeed... - Ivan303 08:50:03 03/04/17 (2)
- RE: More refined indeed... - PAR 09:56:12 03/04/17 (1)
- Bass is going to have to come from a well integrated sub... - Ivan303 18:11:55 03/04/17 (0)
- RE: mad speaker decision - bullethead 06:18:26 03/04/17 (0)