Home Speaker Asylum

General speaker questions for audio and home theater.

Holdover from the pro world.

In the professional world, "bookshelf" speakers are referred to as "monitors". Editors use near field monitors to listen to the audio when they are at an editing station.

When I was editing television the Genelec powered monitors were all the rage (late 80s) and I have to say I wouldn't mind finding a pair of those little powerhouses.

My guess is some marketing person somewhere thought it would be a good idea to use the term "mini-monitor" to differentiate their product from others OR that the company that started it was a Genelec or B&W or Focal which just put one of their lower priced models into the consumer market.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups


Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Message:   (Posts are subject to Content Rules)
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.