In Reply to: -1 posted by Awe-d-o-file on December 20, 2014 at 22:39:46:
I said "some people" prefer certain distortions. I guess you are not one of them. :-)
As to an electric guitar, in this case the distortion is part of the instrument construction and the artistry of the musician. All musical instruments have distortion. For example, my wife's grand piano would clearly distort if one attempted to play too loudly and the keyboard would make annoying noise if one banged on the keys.
The type of distortion that I really object to comes from distortion that affects the sound of all the instruments. If this is added to the recording (an extreme example is clipping distortion) one will get intermodulation from the separate instruments and their individual realism will disappear. In some cases, BTW, this can happen in a live acoustic concert setting turing very loud passages. In this case it is one's ears that are distorting. Again, this may be intentional on the part of the composer or performers, but I prefer to sit back far enough so that this effect does not happen often.
All the different causes of distortion have their unique effects on the sound that we perceive, as will be appreciated by experienced critical listeners.
"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. SarkarThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Any scope photos of different resistors... - Tweaker456 14:22:28 12/18/14 (19)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - Old nuff 2 no better 05:24:46 07/30/15 (0)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - rick_m 07:45:15 12/26/14 (5)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - Ugly 13:33:52 02/01/15 (2)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - rick_m 21:22:59 02/01/15 (1)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - Ugly 06:28:35 02/02/15 (0)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - email@example.com 10:02:14 01/09/15 (1)
- RE: Any scope photos of different resistors... - rick_m 11:26:29 01/09/15 (0)
- An innocent question... - geoffkait 03:46:20 12/19/14 (11)
- RE: An innocent question... - Ugly 13:40:40 02/01/15 (3)
- RE: An innocent question... - geoffkait 04:45:52 02/07/15 (2)
- It ain't me... - Tweaker456 13:39:01 12/20/14 (0)
- RE: An innocent question... - Tony Lauck 07:04:11 12/19/14 (5)Follow Ups
- RE: -1 - Tony Lauck 11:47:48 02/16/15 (0)