Apologies for multiple post on the Audio Circle.
Ok, bought the Squeezebox 3, will likely do the Bolder mods and upgrade the PS. I will be using the SB3 with a Tri-Vista DAC (yeah, I have heard all about USB DACS...I am using what I have).
Since I am starting ground up, I have ultimate flexibility on which PC and software to use with the Squeezebox. I will dedicate this PC to music only, nothing else. All of the solutions below will be linked to external USB or FireWire drives. I really want the best combination of ease of use plus sound quality. Feedback?
Apple MAC Mini.
PRO: Complete, compact, reasonably quiet, good value, very user friendly, can use Itunes playing .WAV or AIFF files, easy to burn to external drives.
CON: Accessories add to price, people claim Foobar playing .WAC or FLAC is better, can't use EAC to rip. Can't use my IPAQ as a remote. A bit of a pain to integrate with my current XP computers.
Windows XP on a fanless or quiet Mini-Itx System
PRO: I already have an XP system to network to, the opposite of the Apple CON's. Plus, I have a Wifi IPAQ I could use as a remote control, plus I can use Foobar and FLAC or WAV files and EAC.
CON: Have to find and assemble (or have vendor assemble) the necessary hardware. Gordon Rankin claims PC's are inferior to MAC. XP is a huge OS, so I need a hard drive. Probably more than a MAC MINI
Damn Small Linux on a fanless Mini-Itx, booting off CF card.
PRO: No hard drive, small and very dedicated, can use FLAC files.
CON: Not user or newbie friendly, still have to figure out how to burn to the external hard drives. Can't use my IPAQ
I am leaning toward the MAC MINI, primarily due to convenience. Thoughts? Anyone actually do their own A/B comparisons?
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - What "sounds" best: PC, MAC Mini, or Linux based transport? - davehg 13:02:18 11/02/05 (28)
- Summary of building a great music server - davehg 13:32:10 11/08/05 (0)
- Look's like it is a MAC Mini based Server, with a SB3 transport - davehg 09:24:46 11/05/05 (2)
- Re: Look's like it is a MAC Mini based Server, with a SB3 transport - routlaw 06:48:31 11/08/05 (0)
- I'm sure I speak for many others on here... - redneckdent 09:59:10 11/05/05 (0)
- AIFF is not Apple Lossless........... - Sordidman 13:56:43 11/04/05 (0)
- No worries - Music Machine 18:19:30 11/02/05 (10)
- Re: No worries - ThomasPf 11:45:16 11/03/05 (9)
- It dosen't have to lock the data rate to the PC - Music Machine 14:29:17 11/03/05 (8)
- Re But doesn't the Squeezebox - Sordidman 13:58:46 11/04/05 (7)
- Yes. (n.t.) - rupertdacat 06:48:13 11/05/05 (0)
- Squeezebox dac - prpixel 14:30:38 11/04/05 (5)
- Re: What "sounds" best: PC, MAC Mini, or Linux based transport? - John Swenson 15:27:46 11/02/05 (0)
- Depends - audioengr 15:06:12 11/02/05 (1)
- Re: Depends - gdg 23:30:23 11/06/05 (0)
- Z-E-R-O difference sonically. - macÂ Â 13:10:59 11/02/05 (8)
- Re: Z-E-R-O difference sonically. - firstname.lastname@example.org 13:40:49 11/02/05 (7)
- Great response...one question - davehg 15:01:31 11/02/05 (6)
- Re: Great response...one question - email@example.com 17:30:01 11/02/05 (5)
- Re: Great response...one question - bobp 11:01:53 11/03/05 (4)
- Re: Great response...one question - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:13:04 11/03/05 (3)
- disk interface - macÂ Â Â 14:45:19 11/03/05 (2)
- Re: disk interface - email@example.com 18:24:51 11/03/05 (1)
- Hard drive speed doesn't really matter, hard drive - Sordidman 14:06:14 11/04/05 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.