In Reply to: RE: That's what concerns me about Roon posted by soundchekk on March 3, 2017 at 00:41:24:
> BUT. I've neither seen anybody managing to come up with
> a consistent logic (without crippling the tag content),
> nor I've seen anybody who owns a 100% consistent collection.
On the first, it works for me. I effectively ported the system I had for filing my Vinyl and my CD's back in the last Millennium, which in turn goes back to - oh well forever, probably my public library when I was 6 and could borrow LP's.
> First of all - get rid (store them somewhere else) of albums
> you'll never ever listen to.
If I do that I might as well -rm-rf them, because if I do that I WILL never listen to them.
> My guess is that nobody would end up with a collection >500 CDs.
Used to have > 3,000 LP's, most are still in storage.
I know, I'm an anachrophile and latter day luddite. Now where is my hammer to smash up that newly fangled komputer maschine of yours?
> Getting the coverarts in shape is a different project. It
> already starts with having the same filename for a coverart.
Well, each Album is a separate Folder with a folder.jpg containing the cover art I want (in case I care about it) Double Albums naturally with suitable prefixes on the track number.
It works great for me. For example, using the Music Section in Media Portal I can choose to prefer folder.jpg for music and to browse the collection by "shares", read folder libraries... And it works browsing a network share from USB Audio Player Pro. And using any other player I have ever used.
> When it comes to file formats - I allow just a few file formats.
> Flac and MP3 and DSF. Everything else will be converted.
I leave the original where I can.
> All in all it takes me about 5 minutes per album. I think it's
> more then worth to spent that time. Spent just an hour a week
> and you'll be set "Once and Forever" next Christmas latest.
Or the week before armageddon.
My point is, I do not want to change my system, because it is nearly 20 Years old (on the computer side - overall more) and has grown organically over this time. And if a software that claims user friendliness as key goal and one of the reasons why we should pay subscription, then I expect it to be friendly to the three users called me, myself & I.
I know, selfish, luddite me.
Now where did I put that hammer again?
At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - How Would You Improve ROON? - Dynobot 11:43:11 02/26/17 (23)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - PaulN 17:17:08 02/28/17 (1)
- Agreed. nt. - 91derlust 00:24:05 03/01/17 (0)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - Thorsten 18:03:56 02/26/17 (12)
- That's what concerns me about Roon - Dave_K 13:22:59 02/28/17 (10)
- RE: That's what concerns me about Roon - Thorsten 23:31:31 02/28/17 (7)
- RE: That's what concerns me about Roon - soundchekk 00:41:24 03/03/17 (5)
- 80/20 Rule - Dynobot 04:39:14 03/03/17 (0)
- RE: That's what concerns me about Roon - Thorsten 01:03:23 03/03/17 (3)
- RE: That's what concerns me about Roon - Dave_K 19:01:29 03/01/17 (0)
- RE: That's what concerns me about Roon - AbeCollins 15:01:40 02/28/17 (1)
- RE: That's what concerns me about Roon - Dave_K 18:08:03 03/01/17 (0)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - RD 11:10:06 02/27/17 (0)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - Dave Garretson 17:32:24 02/26/17 (3)
- J.River Mac Version Sonic Comparison - MRMB 22:47:52 03/01/17 (1)
- RE: J.River Mac Version Sonic Comparison - MRMB 12:17:39 03/02/17 (0)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - AbeCollins 19:03:54 02/26/17 (0)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - Cut-Throat 12:04:26 02/26/17 (3)
- RE: How Would You Improve ROON? - Dynobot 12:12:41 02/26/17 (2)
- Yes, I agree about the Music Services too ......... - Cut-Throat 12:31:45 02/26/17 (1)
- RE: Yes, I agree about the Music Services too ......... - ahendler 21:44:38 02/26/17 (0)