In Reply to: All tube input and driver stage? posted by Lew on April 30, 2016 at 13:39:36:
I think you have my Email Lew. This is a stereo amp. I did not know how I would like it. I elected to minimize the investment, after all these are 30year old speakers. One bad panel and these are expensive planters.
These are robustly built and I really don't know how much better the separation et al would be in mono in this form factor. I also elected to keep the chassis a simple Bud box to minimize cost in case it did not work out.
These are completely tube input and driver.
The main advantage of mono of course - and it is a nice one- is that you can have extremely short polarizing runs to each speaker which is definitely what I'd like to do, keep things neat and gain , theoretically, better separation. Weight plays no factor in this amp so no mono advantage there. I am not missing much with the stereo.
All that said it sounds really nice now and I was running a $13K amp on them with my front end many multiples of that.
The Beveridges were a diversion and they turned out to be almost as incredible in today s advanced world as the were more than 30 years ago. They will be staying around for a little while longer
I have plans to change the caps ( already in house) and if I get time will do that this weekend. Roger offered to install what I wanted, I elected to wait and hear it before I invested $5-600 in caps for it.
I made the investment in the caps :)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Save money on Speaker wire Direct Drive- Bevridge - AJ 19:37:21 04/29/16 (20)
- RE: Direct Drive - Ralph 09:24:38 05/03/16 (6)
- RE: Direct Drive - AJ 16:22:11 05/03/16 (5)
- RE: Direct Drive - airheadair 18:24:26 05/03/16 (4)
- a jolt - Lew 10:19:22 05/04/16 (3)
- RE: a jolt - email@example.com 13:30:48 05/06/16 (2)
- It's always the current that matters, whether AC or DC, but.. - Lew 09:40:11 05/07/16 (0)
- RE: a jolt - AJ 16:23:01 05/06/16 (0)
- RE: Save money on Speaker wire Direct Drive- Bevridge - AJ 09:05:41 05/01/16 (7)
- Source for aluminized mylar - Lew 13:03:39 05/01/16 (6)
- RE: Source for aluminized mylar - AJ 15:43:51 05/01/16 (3)
- European source - Lew 20:50:06 05/01/16 (1)
- RE: European source - AJ 04:08:42 05/02/16 (0)
- RE: Source for aluminized mylar - airheadair 20:02:52 05/01/16 (0)
- RE: Source for aluminized mylar - airheadair 13:12:12 05/01/16 (1)
- RE: Source for aluminized mylar - Lew 13:50:23 05/01/16 (0)
- RE: Save money on Speaker wire Direct Drive- Bevridge - airheadair 20:30:28 04/29/16 (4)
- RE: Save money on Speaker wire Direct Drive- Bevridge - AJ 04:12:03 04/30/16 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: All tube input and driver stage? - AJ 15:53:53 04/30/16 (1)
- RE: All tube input and driver stage? - Lew 07:55:30 05/01/16 (0)