I'm having difficulty understanding RCA (unbalanced) wiring.
This is what I think I know about XLR (balanced) wiring.
Let's use one channel of a phono cartridge for this discussion.
A phono cartridge is a natural balanced source. The red lead is connected to pin 1 of my XLR. This is the positive portion of the waveform. The white lead is connected to pin 3. This is the negative portion of the waveform. Let's forget about ground for now.
At this point the waveform is preserved.
This XLR connection goes into my MP-1 (dual mono) pre amp, is amplified, and exits as a balanced waveform. All good so far.
The waveform enters and exits my MA-1 as a balanced signal.
The positive terminal of the amplifier manipulates the positive portion of the waveform, and the negative portion from the negative terminal.
RCA confuses me. I recently cannibalized an old rca interconnect. The positive wire was soldered to the center pin, and the negative wire to the outer ring. What confuses me is the shielding wire. This wire is also soldered to the outer ring.
Does this mean the RCA wire only carries the positive portion of the waveform?
Are both halves of the phono cartridge's information being used?
If the negative portion of the waveform is tied to the shielding, how does the music stay in tact?
Confused Cousin Billy
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Crazy technical question - Cousin Billy 13:02:27 12/22/15 (37)
- RE: Crazy technical question - Lew 14:13:53 12/22/15 (36)
- Thank you Lew - Cousin Billy 14:39:36 12/22/15 (35)
- RE: Thank you Lew - Caucasian Blackplate 21:02:18 12/27/15 (3)
- Now I am wondering if you know how our circuits actually work. - Ralph 09:08:10 12/28/15 (2)
- RE: Now I am wondering if you know how our circuits actually work. - Caucasian Blackplate 10:13:12 12/28/15 (1)
- We actually predate Allen Wright in this department :) - Ralph 10:46:53 12/28/15 (0)
- RE: Thank you Lew - Lew 16:15:15 12/22/15 (30)
- I've developed a 'Balanced' crossover for my speakers - Cousin Billy 00:37:51 12/23/15 (29)
- RE: I've developed a 'Balanced' crossover for my speakers - Lew 10:57:33 12/23/15 (28)
- Lew, I'll try to explain - Cousin Billy 16:51:54 12/23/15 (27)
- RE: Lew, I'll try to explain - ahendler 17:46:10 12/23/15 (26)
- Balanced cables can have an advantage even if only 6" long. - Ralph 09:07:55 12/24/15 (18)
- RE: Balanced cables can have an advantage even if only 6" long. - ahendler 20:01:02 12/24/15 (17)
- Dear Alan - Lew 10:21:31 12/25/15 (16)
- RE: Dear Alan - ahendler 13:32:02 12/25/15 (15)
- Actually,... - Lew 15:40:16 12/25/15 (14)
- RE: Actually,... - ahendler 20:18:34 12/25/15 (13)
- RE: Actually,... - cpotl 22:54:32 12/27/15 (1)
- Thanks. - Lew 05:42:21 12/28/15 (0)
- single ended OTL? - Cousin Billy 02:02:20 12/26/15 (10)
- RE: single ended OTL? - Banat 06:55:39 12/26/15 (9)
- Banat, thank you - Cousin Billy 07:14:39 12/26/15 (8)
- RE: Banat, thank you - ahendler 20:15:08 12/26/15 (7)
- In addition,... - Lew 08:11:02 12/27/15 (1)
- It does. nt - Ralph 09:04:25 12/28/15 (0)
- I Love and thank everyone - Cousin Billy 00:23:54 12/27/15 (4)
- Hello Alan - Cousin Billy 23:13:45 12/23/15 (6)