In Reply to: RE: Questions for Salectric and Lokie re P15LL posted by Randal P on March 11, 2017 at 04:16:21:
The field coil conversion, may, or may not be better than the original alnico. Do not assume, because its a field coil, that it is automatically better than the alnico !!
More than a dozen RCA filed coil drivers ( MI-1428B and MI-1443s ) I have personally owned, and have passed through my hands. I was an early user and proponent of these, ( and I owned six RCA Ubangie Bass Horns, all at one time ). Today, I am VERY happy having ALTEC alnico 802Ds, remagged and GPA re-diaphragmed. YMMV.
There are other areas where we can gain performance. IMHO, "I" would NOT ever buy a magnet "converted" 802 unless I was able to A-B them in a relaxed manner, over time, on my system. No-knowing - WHAT will sound best. You better have a GOOD amp and a good source, and optimized wiring / a truly optimized crossover, when you compare 'em, to make a good determination.
My post's point is " a field coil is NOT necessarily automatically better , AND, it may be automatically worse."
See if anyone here can figure out why this might be so, technically. I know someone, very experienced with early movie theater W.E. RCA, etc, who has this figured out.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Questions for Salectric and Lokie re P15LL - bald2 10:53:39 03/10/17 (8)
- RE: Questions for Salectric and Lokie re P15LL - Hornlover 08:40:53 03/15/17 (1)
- RE: Questions for Salectric and Lokie re P15LL - bald2 10:17:17 03/15/17 (0)
- RE: Questions for Salectric and Lokie re P15LL - lokie 17:37:33 03/10/17 (0)
- RE: Questions for Salectric and Lokie re P15LL - Salectric 16:57:07 03/10/17 (4)Follow Ups
- Do not assume Field Coils are better........ - drlowmu 08:01:56 03/11/17 (0)