Since there have been numerous postings on the Terra Firma Lite upgrade, I thought I might add my own experience. I had to send my SCD-1 (with VSE 6+) back to Bill Thalman for what (fortunately) turned out to be a minor repair problem, and given the hassle involved in packing and shipping this monstrously heavy machine, I thought I should give the TFL a try. I've had the machine back only about a week, and the outcome has already exceeded my expectations in every way. I don't have the analytical audiophile vocabulary to describe my experience fully (nor do I have a pair of ultra-sensitive ears). All I can say is that for me, all the digital artifacts -- the glare, grunge, and the rest -- are things of the past. I only hear natural high-resolution sound against a totally black background. Voices come through especially nicely; I had never heard Elisabeth Schwarzkopf sound like this in Strauss' "Four Last Songs" (with Szell). (I have a distant but vivid recollection of a live recital she gave years ago.)
I think the TFL is worth every penny. The only problem for me now is: What do I do with that big black Wadia and stack after stack of LPs?
Bill Thalman did his usual efficient, effective, and friendly work -- and was gracious enough to waive the charge for fixing the repair issue.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - My SCD-1 with Terra Firma Lite - Amade 08:25:23 09/07/09 (8)
- RE: My SCD-1 with Terra Firma Lite - stvnharr 12:54:41 09/07/09 (0)
- What do I do with that big black Wadia.. - Allen Wright 08:42:27 09/07/09 (6)
- RE: What do I do with that big black Wadia.. - firstname.lastname@example.org 02:09:27 09/13/09 (0)
- RE: What do I do with that big black Wadia.. - Mr_bill2 06:31:59 09/09/09 (3)
- The TFL's performance is it's own performance. - Allen Wright 06:36:06 09/09/09 (2)
- RE: The TFL's performance is it's own performance. - egidius 14:09:20 09/11/09 (0)
- RE: The TFL's performance is it's own performance. - Mr_bill2 15:11:42 09/10/09 (0)
- RE: What do I do with that big black Wadia.. - Johnny Wadia 09:27:08 09/07/09 (0)