I got my SCD777_ES back from Warren Gregoire who just installed the terra firma lite upgrade. The player was already at Level 6. I had made an initial decision to forgo the upgrade because the player had been relegated to my second system and wasnâ€™t getting much use. Serendipitously, the drawer stopped opening and needed a trip to Warren anyway, so why not, I rationalized, spring for the clock upgrade at the same time?
When I got it home I put the upgraded Sony in my main system to give it a proper audition. I was amazed at how much richer it sounded. I played the delightful Floratone CD first, and drum-thwacks where I used to notice just the sound of the skin now portrayed the resonance and hollowness of the drum. This disc has a lot of soundstage to it that the FTL took to a much higher level of depth, spaciousness, and solidity. Next was Brian Brombergâ€™s â€œWoodâ€ CD where the harmonic richness of his bass was much more evident than before. Of course I had to try an SACD and I went for the play-weary â€˜When I Look in your Eyesâ€ by Diana Krall. To me, there was always a stridency to the mass violins that got under my skin (pun intended). The terra firma upgrade made the strings rich with beautiful resonance. I found myself laughing after every track at how amazingly good it sounded.
I mentioned bumping my reference CD-player to audition the upgrade. Itâ€™s a Spectral Audio SDR-4000 Pro, which I really like, as I should given its lofty price. Iâ€™m in no hurry to swap it back in. The musicality, harmonic texture, and naturalness of the Sony is so good, it leaves nothing to be desired. And the fact that it plays SACDâ€™s is the icing on the cake.
You can see Iâ€™m pretty enthusiastic about the TFL upgrade. If anyone is on the fence about getting this upgrade, my advice is to get it. It was by far the most cost-effective upgrade Iâ€™ve done and worth every penny.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Impressed with the Terra Firma Lite upgrade to my SCD777-ES - Dan H 15:22:44 09/05/09 (10)
- That's cheaper than first reported in PF - Metralla 13:58:50 09/06/09 (0)
- RE: Impressed with the Terra Firma Lite upgrade to my SCD777-ES - oldmkvi 10:36:41 09/06/09 (2)
- RE: Impressed with the Terra Firma Lite upgrade to my SCD777-ES - Dan H 11:31:05 09/06/09 (1)
- Thanks, seems reasonable! nt - oldmkvi 12:02:56 09/06/09 (0)
- RE: Impressed with the Terra Firma Lite upgrade to my SCD777-ES - Mali 17:11:06 09/05/09 (5)
- Brief comparison of 777 TFL and Spectral 4000 - Dan H 09:09:56 09/11/09 (1)
- Great - thanks for writing - Metralla 12:24:24 09/11/09 (0)
- RE: Impressed with the Terra Firma Lite upgrade to my SCD777-ES - Dan H 19:13:20 09/05/09 (2)
- RE: Impressed with the Terra Firma Lite upgrade to my SCD777-ES - spectralman 22:38:46 09/06/09 (1)
- Please realise... - Allen Wright 01:37:34 09/07/09 (0)