In Reply to: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) posted by AbeCollins on March 7, 2017 at 19:01:38:
I don't think that Todd is hearing things hidden from the rest of us as I too have suffered from radio pickup via an active high gain phono stage.
It was via the phono stage buit into my ATC SCA2 preamp which was handling the output from a Lyra Clavis DC. During the summer months as soon as it got to sundown I would hear an Italian radio station. The solution was to add a small amount of capacitance to the cartridge loading. Being an MC this didn't affect the FR at all but provided a cure to the breakthrough.
I also now have a preference for SUTs and these days use an EAR preamp with inbuilt phonostage ( 868PL) where MC gain is via SUTs ( not the same ones as in the 834 but the 88P). Even though the preamp's MM stage provides sufficient gain to use my Lyra Skala or modified Denon 103R without the additional SUTs I nevertheless much prefer to engage them. There Just seems to be a bit of magic with an MC/SUT combination.
I note your use of a Bob's Devices SUT with your EAR which is something I would like to try. However the only way I can do that from the UK is to buy one and self import it. Maybe if I find some spare cash and sufficient curiosity. However these days vinyl is taking a bit of a back seat to streaming Qobuz. No doubt the shine will wear off of that eventually.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Denon 103D Phono Cartridge - Ross 12:28:58 03/07/17 (20)
- maybe not the best set up procedure - M3 lover 10:41:18 03/08/17 (4)
- Cantilever is - Ross 17:12:19 03/09/17 (1)
- Two possible issues, hope you are good - M3 lover 11:29:15 03/10/17 (0)
- RE: maybe not the best set up procedure - AbeCollins 11:28:02 03/08/17 (1)
- Sorry Abe, - M3 lover 10:20:17 03/09/17 (0)
- Curious - E-Stat 15:19:25 03/07/17 (14)
- Because - Ross 17:14:17 03/09/17 (2)
- RE: Curious - Todd Krieger 16:40:11 03/07/17 (10)
- You must be problem prone! - E-Stat 17:01:45 03/07/17 (9)
- Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - AbeCollins 19:01:38 03/07/17 (8)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - E-Stat 05:55:43 03/08/17 (2)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us don't want to listen for. - kitch29 06:57:41 03/08/17 (1)
- Sure - E-Stat 07:24:13 03/08/17 (0)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - PAR 02:53:02 03/08/17 (2)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - AbeCollins 08:41:21 03/08/17 (1)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - Todd Krieger 02:33:29 03/10/17 (0)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - raya 19:56:07 03/07/17 (1)
- RE: Todd hears things most of us can't ;-) - AbeCollins 08:29:46 03/08/17 (0)