Home General Asylum

General audio topics that don't fit into specific categories.

transformer swap

I bought this little integrated amp on eBay a couple of years ago. The original idea was to use it to play my ipod in motel rooms while on business trips. It was advertised as a "mini tube amp." That was a lie, it has no tubes. Still it sounds pretty good for what I paid for it (about $120).
The problem is that it is wired for 220 volts. I have a voltage converter, and it sounds pretty good with it, but lugging a converter, which wieghs about three time as much as the Bada, kind of defeats the purpose of a compact, portable amp. And I can't imaginge that hi fi gear is working at its best with a chinese prison-labor manufactured hulk of a voltage converter hooked to it. And the extra transformer seems to add some hum.

SOOOOO what I wanted to do is swap out the toroidal transformer for one with a 117 primary tap, as opposed to the 220 one that came with it. Does anyone know how I'd go about finding one? I'd imagine there are 177 toroidals that would fit just fine, as it's fewer revolutions to come from 117 down to whatever is the working voltage than from 220, right?

Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas, tip, cautions, etc.

Dave Osborne

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - transformer swap - dave osborne 02:52:18 05/10/07 (3)


Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Message:   (Posts are subject to Content Rules)
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.