In Reply to: RE: 75 ohm rca connector. posted by Crazy Dave on March 11, 2017 at 16:50:27:
I made my own from Belden quad shielded RG59. Very happy with the results. I've never been one for spending on the Big Name cables because I don't feel the prices charged are justified. I swapped over some of my equipment to BNC connectors, but I couldn't in all honesty say that I heard any signficant difference over my RCA/RG-59 combination. However, as my Big Ben and Grimm CC1 use AES/EBU (XLR) connectors, I have a real mixture of cables now.
The quality of the actual "connection" between the cable and connector (and of course to the socket) are arguably the most crucial connections to get right. The other important point is not to have a tight bending radius.
As to whether it is worth it? Well I didn't spend much in the first place (compared to buying the commercial name brand offerings of course!) and definitely heard an improvement over the cheap 75 ohm video cable I was using as an interim solution.
If you are happy with what you have, I wouldn't worry too much. I know that curiousity about what is "just around the corner" is what drives us to keep tweaking and upgrading, but I'll be honest, once I started doing my own digital recordings and realised that my digital system was about as good as I needed it to be in terms of realism and accuracy, my days of Chasing the "Audio Tweak" Dragon are gone and I prefer to focus on just enjoying the music.
"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty.." KeatsThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Digital Cable Redeux - double28 05:47:43 03/08/17 (19)
- Second on Blue Jeans Cable - mr.bear 22:29:15 03/20/17 (0)
- See my post on cable asylum - jedrider 10:29:38 03/13/17 (0)
- RE: Digital Cable Redeux - flood2 15:14:59 03/09/17 (5)
- 75 ohm rca connector. - Duster 20:57:48 03/10/17 (4)
- See email (nt) - Duster 00:34:06 03/09/17 (0)
- RE: Digital Cable Redeux - Dynobot 18:47:43 03/08/17 (2)
- RE: Digital Cable Redeux - Tidycat1 19:39:17 03/08/17 (1)
- RE: Digital Cable Redeux - Dynobot 03:25:21 03/09/17 (0)
- RE: Digital Cable Redeux - sleeper 18:47:00 03/08/17 (0)
- If you don't mind DIY ... - Crazy Dave 09:40:42 03/08/17 (1)
- RE: If you don't mind DIY ... - double28 10:05:03 03/08/17 (0)
- RE: Digital Cable Redeux - Roseval 08:13:00 03/08/17 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: 75 ohm rca connector. - flood2 20:39:25 03/11/17 (1)
- RE: 75 ohm rca connector. - Crazy Dave 19:16:32 03/12/17 (0)