In Reply to: RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... posted by PAR on February 28, 2017 at 05:03:51:
By "hi-res" I presume you mean CD quality - 16/44.1 and not proper high resolution of 24/192.
Yes, it has always surprised and disappointed me that Amazon never offered CD quality downloads. However, even their 99p per "track" or typically £8 per CD in MP3 format is costly and CD quality would be even more with genuine hi-res (24/192) costlier still.
With streaming though, it shouldn't cost the providers much more to offer 16/44.1 compared with MP3. They need a bigger hard drive, but that's about it. The artists would (should) receive the same royalty whether their music is listened to in MP3, 16/44.1 or 24-192, so any extra revenue should be good for the provider.
The providers that offer higher quality should over time educate those non-mobile listeners to appreciate the better quality and get more to migrate to better quality streaming. They should perhaps reduce the difference in price between the 2 formats. Paying double for higher quality seems extortion to me! A 25% hike in subscription may pay them big dividends as far as number of premium subscribers is concerned.
For sure the market will change, but surely streaming is here to stay and hopefully one should in future be able to pick one's preferred quality with little difference in cost. Whether the likes of Tidal will survive if the big boys enter the market is yet to be seen, but I suspect if Amazon takes a serious interest, it'll be curtains for many streaming service.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Tidal on Bluesound - firstname.lastname@example.org 05:11:03 02/27/17 (18)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - PAR 06:14:57 02/27/17 (17)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - email@example.com 10:34:43 02/27/17 (8)
- I control both TIDAL and QOBUZ with my SONOS syste.... - Ivan303 19:15:58 02/27/17 (0)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - ahendler 11:30:31 02/27/17 (6)
- RE: Tidal on Bluesound - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:01:13 02/27/17 (5)
- What PAR said.... - Ivan303 07:18:32 02/27/17 (7)
- RE: What PAR said.... - PAR 08:46:16 02/27/17 (6)
- It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - Ivan303 19:11:49 02/27/17 (5)
- RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - PAR 02:10:33 02/28/17 (4)Follow Ups
- RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - email@example.com 05:52:56 02/28/17 (1)
- RE: It's a matter of $$$ with QOBUZ... - PAR 06:58:03 02/28/17 (0)