Absolute Sound did a review on the Air Tight Bonsai AL-05 Mini Monitor. It's in the new issue in the Affordable Speaker Focus at only 2,500 dollars. To you old timers it's about the size of a Radio Shack Minimus 7 but uses a single driver.
The reviewer said in the listening tests for a time she placed the speakers atop another pair. One thing I learned in the late 70's and I think from AS itself was a critical listening test could not be done with other speakers in the room. The air pressure that a speaker creates will effect other speakers not hooked up, sort of a passive radiator effect that adds to the powered speakers sound, very minute but there.
When I looked at the frequency response I was pretty happy to find a mint pair of Minimus 7's for 30 bucks on ebay. The range was better too in several areas.
Every one has their favorite music and artist and I think any music reproducer would sound great if you really love what your hearing. I'm not saying the Bonsai is so-so because I have not heard it. But to be a convinced consumer I would be in favor of (blind tests) with other makes after reading that review.
If you read the letters first, Scott Oakley's letter was right on. His second comment is exactly how I feel about review formats in Absolute Sound...take care..Mark Korda.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Absolute Sound/ Bonsai - email@example.com 15:26:58 03/11/17 (20)
- RE: Absolute Sound/ Bonsai - BubbaMike 00:16:09 03/12/17 (18)
- RE: Absolute Sound/ Bonsai - John Atkinson 10:16:09 03/12/17 (16)
- Interesting-Every Stereo Store I've ever been to has LOTS of speakers in Demo Room. - oldmkvi 09:31:20 03/13/17 (4)
- Really? - Dave_K 06:22:53 03/15/17 (1)
- RE: Really? - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:34:43 03/15/17 (0)
- "OK, now let's short out the terminals on the Wilson WAMMs and the Focal Grande Utopia EMs... - Ivan303 17:53:50 03/13/17 (1)
- Could be done with a logic breadboard.. - 3+4=5 06:31:34 03/14/17 (0)
- I don't get it. - Rick W 17:24:55 03/12/17 (4)
- RE: I don't get it. - tomservo 08:31:02 03/13/17 (2)
- "....measurable but usually small...." Yeah, as I said, I'd bet its insignificant. - Rick W 10:30:59 03/13/17 (1)
- RE: "....measurable but usually small...." Yeah, as I said, I'd bet its insignificant. - tomservo 05:21:42 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: I don't get it. - John Atkinson 08:02:35 03/13/17 (0)
- If that's the case.... - Ivan303 15:52:58 03/12/17 (5)
- Have to agree. LOL nt - 3+4=5 09:40:26 03/12/17 (0)
- Link? Not a subscriber...(nt) - mkuller 16:52:21 03/11/17 (0)