In the last 2 issues of Stereophile I give a lot of credit to the captain John Atkinson for mentioning high prices. Check out the latest review on the Aerial Acoustics 5T speaker system.
Right off he points to the small price of 3,795. In the same issue is the Wharfdale Diamond 225 speaker system reviewed by Herb Reichert a whopping 449.00 a pair.
Read both reviews, their almost side by side. Can you tell me which one performs better? Then compare the prices.
Some might point out the cost of drivers and cabinetry. Look in the Parts Express catalog and see if you can find a cabinet that is akin to the Aerial 5T.
You might now know the cabinet cost. Add in state of the art drivers, Scanspeak,Seas,ect.,what ever is used. A little more for wire, crossover, and jacks and I think you can stay well under 795 dollars. I have no clue about New Zealand wool. Those must be some fancy sheep.
Not withstanding labor and advertising that leaves a 3.000 dollar profit margin!
I tip my hat to John Atkinson. He did not lie about the speaker sounding good but did hoist a red flag right off about the cost.
I say a real interesting next article might be a (Sound-Off) between the 2 speaker systems using different amps like Herb R. does. Whats wrong with some good old competition in the high end as Consumer Reports does with mid hi-fi?....Mark Korda
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - John Atkinson/ High Prices - firstname.lastname@example.org 07:56:06 02/12/17 (41)
- buy used.................... nt - 3+4=5 09:51:34 02/26/17 (0)
- Go DIY! - lokie 07:31:33 02/17/17 (9)
- Or go vintage - 4everyoung 08:55:38 02/18/17 (0)
- RE: Go DIY! - email@example.com 08:09:58 02/17/17 (7)
- RE: Go DIY! - seas 06:37:50 02/20/17 (6)
- RE: Go DIY! - firstname.lastname@example.org 06:29:11 02/21/17 (5)
- If you do not plan - Stale 20:08:22 02/12/17 (13)
- not to mention... - hifitommy 00:07:39 02/17/17 (2)
- RE: If you do not plan - The Dill 06:00:13 02/13/17 (9)
- RE: If you do not plan - email@example.com 07:32:04 02/13/17 (8)
- RE: If you do not plan - volunteer 13:21:43 02/13/17 (0)
- RE: If you do not plan - PAR 09:49:03 02/13/17 (4)
- RE: If you do not plan - RGA 18:03:11 02/13/17 (3)
- RE: If you do not plan - RGA 08:38:27 02/13/17 (1)
- Exactly... - mkuller 12:03:19 02/13/17 (0)
- You may be idly speculating on the low side..... - viridian 14:04:04 02/12/17 (2)
- Not that it matters, but, AFAIK Aerial has sourced many of its cabinets from contractors... - John Marks 05:53:52 02/13/17 (1)
- Thank you for the correction John. Nt - viridian 07:50:35 02/13/17 (0)
- RE: John Atkinson/ High Prices - John Atkinson 12:57:42 02/12/17 (12)
- RE: John Atkinson/ High Prices and Boulder - A.Wayne 09:36:15 02/16/17 (0)
- RE: John Atkinson/ High Prices - John Atkinson 11:20:38 02/13/17 (1)
- I like those types of follow ups - trav 06:58:35 02/16/17 (0)
- RE: John Atkinson/ High Prices - Jim Smith 08:57:01 02/13/17 (7)
- Hi Jim - Inmate51 20:26:28 02/17/17 (5)
- Even I have a copy of this important book... - musetap 12:52:22 02/18/17 (0)
- RE: Hi Jim - Jim Smith 09:06:04 02/18/17 (0)
- Jim has been around for a long time - 4everyoung 08:16:09 02/18/17 (1)
- RE: Jim has been around for a long time - Jim Smith 08:59:38 02/18/17 (0)
- RE: Hi Jim - bertdw 04:22:40 02/18/17 (0)
- They might have more market penetration if they'd kept the 10T - David S. 09:23:28 02/15/17 (0)
- OK,BUT - Frihed89 17:57:44 02/12/17 (0)