In Reply to: RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley posted by Tidycat1 on February 5, 2017 at 16:51:11:
Just spent my first evening with the Gold Helix.
My initial impression is that I am a Helix kinda guy.
Both of the ELF Helix are very open and energize the soundstage.Both bring a lot of detail retrieval.The Gold has a way with bass guitar,both stand-up and electric.Tympani and percussion have a "rolling thunder" affair to them.The piano pedal sustains are very evident and decay quite naturally.
Womens' vocals are handled extremely well,giving a very emotional connection.
I am going to continue the break-in on the Gold,it has a little bit of cobweb still lingering.
The difference between these two Helixes appears to be in the "attack,sustain and decay" characteristics.Both focus ver well and are articulate.The Silver Helix tends to be impressive on the transient,but ever so slightly lesson the sustain.The Gold Helix slightly gives up a little ground to the Silver as far as "lightening transients.It ,however,gives the piano and female vocals a focus that is beguiling.The slightly "fleshier" presentation conveys an emotional connection.
In comparison,the transients of the piano are in evidence with the Silver.The Gold backs off on the immediacy,but offers a fuller tonality as frequencies decend.
Percussion is still articulate with the Gold,just not as lightening fast.
I could live with either presentation.For a more laid-back,introspective and very emotional presentation-it's the Gold and rolling thunder.
The Silver is slightly more immediate and reveals more of the high frequency detail of the piano and the keyboard play-such as adjacent keys rubbing.
I plan to throw a few recordings at these cables to determine who will be first-string.
Yori Horning Trio-Walking on the Moon,Anita Baker-Harvest Moon and Tom Waits-Take It With Me when I go.
I have heard these pieces enough times that I absolutely know what to expect.They can reveal weaknesses and the subtleties of a cable and system.
Any further follow-ups will deal mainly with the Helix Gold.I have commented on my reactions to the Silver Helix.
If you try one of these cables and are not impressed,I would be surprised.Keep in mind the difference in systems and taste.Maybe these comparisons will guide you into the proper cable to suit your taste and system.
Tom:catThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 19:51:38 12/29/16 (18)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - RadioWonder 11:22:05 12/30/16 (17)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - DrN 14:05:19 12/30/16 (16)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 19:44:16 12/30/16 (15)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 19:42:10 01/03/17 (14)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - wirewizard 19:47:27 01/03/17 (13)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 19:35:44 01/04/17 (12)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 20:14:40 01/05/17 (11)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 21:31:40 01/06/17 (10)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 20:16:37 01/17/17 (9)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 21:44:07 01/25/17 (8)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 20:48:42 01/27/17 (7)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 12:15:33 01/28/17 (6)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Duster 21:42:31 01/28/17 (5)
- RE: ELF Cables/Ernest Farley - Tidycat1 14:41:43 01/29/17 (4)