Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
In Reply to: Integrated Amp upgrade posted by BMWDoctor on March 9, 2017 at 06:06:18:
I have the Marantz PM8003 which is like the integrated amp you are considering just a couple generations earlier. It served me well in the family room TV setup for a number of years but I always thought it was a little dark and veiled sounding.
After adding a couple more 'devices' to the TV setup I decided I needed another amp with HDMI switching to handle video routing to the TV. The Marantz doesn't do HDMI as it is a basic 2-ch stereo amp. I confirmed what I was hearing in the Marantz (soft, dark, veiled) when I replaced it with a cheap [< $200] Sony AV receiver from Amazon. It's a 5.2 ch receiver but we use it only in 2-channel stereo mode. It sounds so much better than the Marantz.
I can't comment on higher-end Marantz amps but their $1000 class PM8003 wasn't very good. If you read the thread I linked to below you will also see comments by inmate airtime regarding his newer PM8004. Good luck!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Integrated Amp upgrade - BMWDoctor 06:06:18 03/09/17 (9)
- Its horses for courses... - viridian 18:19:27 03/09/17 (2)
- RE: Its horses for courses... - BMWDoctor 18:24:33 03/09/17 (1)
- I find the Rega to be very nicely balanced with excellent... - viridian 18:38:15 03/09/17 (0)
- If used is OK - G Squared 13:44:35 03/09/17 (0)
- RE: Integrated Amp upgrade - BMWDoctor 11:51:45 03/09/17 (0)
- RE: Integrated Amp upgrade - Mr Peabody 08:41:38 03/09/17 (0)
- RE: Integrated Amp upgrade - AbeCollins 08:03:42 03/09/17 (2)