Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
Model: ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Category: Amplifier (Tube) Suggested Retail Price: $995.00 Description: Bob Latino built 60 wpc kit: wired and tested Manufacturer URL: Dynaco
Review by email@example.com on September 26, 2015 at 08:31:35
IP Address: 220.127.116.11
Add Your Review
for the ST-120 Kit: Wired & TestedBought the VTA ST-120 kit with attenuator and Russian cap upgrade. The assembly instructions are very comprehensive, complete and easy to understand. This was only my second kit and I had no trouble putting it together from the instructions. The parts were all very high quality (vs. the first kit I bought online) and the parts layout was easy to understand. But that's not the best part of this kit.
The best part was the service after the sale. You see, I didn't exactly put my kit together correctly despite the instructions (follow them to the letter and in sequence is my advice there). It turns out that I'd soldered one wire to the wrong lead, causing a loud hum in one channel and some real smoke during the "smoke test". I spent a Sunday online during Labor Day weekend with Bob Latino trying to diagnose the problem. We exchanged over a dozen emails with pictures and videos. At every step Bob was gracious and informative in helping a newbie (me) get my project working. When it was clear that I needed to get someone to physically look at the amp, Bob referred me to Troy Madden for repair. There again, Troy found the problem quickly and turned the job around within a day or so of receiving my amp. The repair service was much less expensive than if I'd taken it locally too. In addition, Troy added a mod to help protect the rectifier.
When I got my amp back it worked perfectly. The amp itself sounds amazing! Super quiet with zero hum/hiss. Definitely worth every penny! I highly recommend this kit not only for its quality but for the people that stand behind their product. Thanks Guys!!!
Product Weakness: None I'm aware of Product Strengths: Sound, parts, ease of constructionAssociated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: VTA ST-120 Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): None Sources (CDP/Turntable): IPhone 6 Speakers: Polk RTi A9 Cables/Interconnects: wired Music Used (Genre/Selections): Jazz, vocals, rock Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - firstname.lastname@example.org 08:31:35 09/26/15 (12)
- "I had no trouble putting it together from the instructions" - 1973shovel 09:45:18 09/28/15 (6)
- RE: "I had no trouble putting it together from the instructions" - airtime 10:32:38 09/28/15 (5)
- I wasn't commenting on the fact that he had a problem putting the kit together - 1973shovel 10:51:18 09/28/15 (4)
- RE: I wasn't commenting on the fact that he had a problem putting the kit together - airtime 11:06:31 09/28/15 (3)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - A.Wayne 07:11:41 09/28/15 (2)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - Bob Latino 15:42:06 09/28/15 (1)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - A.Wayne 17:36:39 09/28/15 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - bare 19:16:24 09/26/15 (0)
- Great to hear you like it - I just finished the ST-70 kit - airtime 12:35:22 09/26/15 (0)