Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
Model: ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Category: Amplifier (Tube) Suggested Retail Price: $995.00 Description: Bob Latino built 60 wpc kit: wired and tested Manufacturer URL: Dynaco
Review by spike930 on January 15, 2009 at 13:47:58
IP Address: 188.8.131.52
Add Your Review
for the ST-120 Kit: Wired & TestedA short time ago, I purchased an ST-120 Kit from Bob Latino. It arrived in two days and was very well packed.
I've been building all kinds of kits for about 40 years(Ham radio and Audio)
and this kit rates right up there with the best of them. It's very well
planed out with illustrated instructions. Bob even included a full color
photo the chassis underside.
This kit took me about ten hours to assemble and it fired up on the first try. About another 30 mins. or so for checkout and adjustment of bias.
I was worried that this amp would not have the power to drive my RTA12Bs
enough to get a good level and range. I was using a Carver receiver before
this amp and was running much more power.
Turns out I was very much mistaken. The ST120 has tons of power.
Not only that, I now have deeper low range and the highs are not to be
believed. It wiped out my Carver. This is a very clean amp.
So if you are in the market for a fine tube amp, this one is really sweet.
You can save some bucks and build it yourself. Oh yeah, get the Cap upgrade kit too.
Product Weakness: None that I can find. Product Strengths: Very clean. Plenty of power. Sweet sounding.Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: ST-120 Kit Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Dynaco PAS3 Sources (CDP/Turntable): Rotel CD/Dyna FM3 Modified Speakers: Polk RTA12Bs about 91db Cables/Interconnects: Monster Music Used (Genre/Selections): Rock,Blues,Classical Room Size (LxWxH): 20 x 14 x 8 Time Period/Length of Audition: many hours over three days Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - spike930 13:47:58 01/15/09 (11)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - firstname.lastname@example.org 21:17:22 01/25/09 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - djk 16:25:49 01/15/09 (0)
- What amp do you have, I'm pretty sure the Dynaco Stereo 120 was an early transistor amp. (nt) - jnr 16:01:18 01/15/09 (4)
- It's a custom 60 WPC amp built on an ST-70 chassis - photo - Wolf012558@aol.com 04:03:23 01/16/09 (0)
- Strictly speaking, this is NOT a Dynaco amp - E-Stat 17:20:18 01/15/09 (1)
- Thanks for the info and I agree a pretty cool idea. (nt) - jnr 19:19:45 01/15/09 (0)
- Here's a link to the amp I remember - jnr 16:05:32 01/15/09 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - SgreenP@MSN.com 15:57:56 01/15/09 (1)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - email@example.com 18:05:55 08/13/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - mbnx01 15:11:23 01/15/09 (1)
- RE: REVIEW: Dynaco ST-120 Kit: Wired & Tested Amplifier (Tube) - triamp 05:42:16 08/16/12 (0)