Model: MG-3.6/R Category: Speaker Stands Suggested Retail Price: $315 Description: MyeSound Speaker Stands for the Magneplanar MG-3.6/R Manufacturer URL: Mye Sound Model Picture: View
Review by Crimson (A) on November 15, 2004 at 07:41:29
IP Address: 220.127.116.11
Add Your Review
for the MG-3.6/RI received the stands in two wooden crates last week and was quite impressed with the effort that Grant puts in to ensure safe shipment. One crate contains the two bases, fastening hardware and brass cone feet, while the other contains the four support arms. I ordered the stands in the wrinkle black finish which was very well done. By Friday evening I was able to get around to uncrating the stands and set about putting them together by myself. An extra set of hands would've made it go faster, but i had waited long enough and the wife wasn't in the 'mood'.
The instructions are straightforward and in an about an hour I was set up and ready to power up the equipment and try them out. I was amazed at how firmly the stands held the speakers, virtually eliminating any sway or movement. At this point I did not have the brass feet attached.
The first disc I popped in was one I'm very faliliar with, Tony Levin's World Diary. Nice fusion of instruments from around the globe with Levin's bass setting the tone, and an excellent recording.
Whoa! Truly a veil had been lifted from the mids on down. His bass playing was now more articulate, seemed to go lower, and the whole image became rock solid. While the highs didn't seem to be affected per se, the overall presentation became 'cleaner'. What little congestion and smearing the speakers seemed to present with the stock stands had all but disappeared. I was very impressed.
Next up, King Crimson's Thrack. Incredible! Same virtues as described above, with an added effect: these speakers, IMO, tend to be somewhat recessed in the mids with an overall darker presentation than neutral. The stands seem to alleviate this anomoly, bringing the presentation of the mids more towards neutral. Vocals weren't as recessed as before, tilting the response in the mids somewhat towards the brighter end. This gave the impression of a more cohesive response top to bottom.
I went through quite a few more discs before I went ahead and put the spiked feet on.
As can be seen in the pictures, I also ordered the brass floor protectors, not to protect my floor (carpet over concrete slab) but to facilitate small changes in speaker positioning. Adding the spikes seemed to solidify the image even more and lowered the 'useable' response of the speakers. In doing so, I had to recallibrate my subs effectively lowering the XO point (which took more time than putting the stands together).
Overall, these stands are a neccessity, not a tweak, for these speakers, and are a great value. Very highly recommended!
Product Weakness: None. Product Strengths: See Above.
Associated Equipment for this Review: Amplifier: Bryston 7B-ST Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): AVA T-7 Sources (CDP/Turntable): Sony SCD-XA777ES; Scott Nixon TubeDAC; CEC CDP-3300; Music Hall MMF-5 Speakers: Magnepan MG-3.6/R Cables/Interconnects: Cardas Neutral Reference; Kimber 8TC Music Used (Genre/Selections): All types Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Furman PM-PRO PC's Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Mye Sound MG-3.6/R Speaker Stands - Crimson 07:41:29 11/15/04 (16)
- Mye Sound MG-3.6/R Speaker Stands - Beluga 08:45:00 11/16/04 (0)
- Re: "these stands are a neccessity" - Mart 15:21:25 11/15/04 (1)
- glad to see that my idea caught on - macÂ Â 23:38:52 11/15/04 (0)
- Mye Sound MG-3.6/R Speaker Stands - Ronnhedh 12:04:06 11/15/04 (1)
- Re: Mye Sound MG-3.6/R Speaker Stands - Crimson 12:57:11 11/15/04 (0)
- 2nd ALL THAT !!!! Thanks Grant! - Dr.Jazz 09:21:25 11/15/04 (4)
- Re: 2nd ALL THAT !!!! Thanks Grant! - DKG 15:52:14 11/16/04 (0)
- ESSENTIAL, CONAN?? I thoroughly enjoy my stock 3.6 every night. . . - Alan G. 13:20:19 11/16/04 (2)
- Re: ESSENTIAL !! period !! - Dr.Jazz 19:51:28 11/16/04 (0)
- Re: ESSENTIAL, CONAN?? I thoroughly enjoy my stock 3.6 every night. . . - e90 13:57:43 11/16/04 (0)
- Thanks for the review. - grantv 08:32:04 11/15/04 (5)
- Buy stock in American steel - bostonaudi 19:37:15 11/15/04 (1)
- Re: Buy stock in American steel - watts 13:02:01 11/16/04 (0)
- Re: Thanks for the review. - Planarium 18:41:49 11/15/04 (1)
- The price depends on the model. - grantv 19:18:02 11/15/04 (0)
- Re: Thanks for the review. - Crimson 12:58:28 11/15/04 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.