Inmate Central, where civil and family-friendly discourse about off-audio topics (other than religion and politics) is welcome.
In Reply to: RE: a speech to live by posted by painter27 on July 10, 2017 at 18:24:29:
"She went to school the next day & told the teacher what I told her."
There is no shame in honest work. I don't care if you suck shit out of sewers. I wish I could get a real job, but my skills are outdated and my eyesight just about gone.
Painting is one thing you can do well or shitty. If you can keep getting work you are probably doing alright at least.
I was gifted with a range of talents. Electronics and most aspects of house remodeling. To say the least I could find work. On my own in fact, I have not filled out a job application since the 1980s. I did at a place called Electrasound and beat out 154 applicants. They had a comprehensive test and I rewrote it. Well actually just pointed out an error.
In remodeling, I could do everything but the roof and the cement work. I made some money at that for a while. I used to have a saying "Hell no I don't want to do it right, but I don't want to come back and do it again". I almost started a company doing electrical work, I was going to call it "Overkill Electric" but then I thought twice and figured that is not quite the right name. But I have wired quite a few houses and the work always passed inspection. In fact in spades. I was taught by real experts at it.
But not everyone gets the same exposure. What I got, I got from a family of people with many skills. That is rare. It did make me some money, but I can't even read a tape measure these days. My PC has an extra big screen just so I can correspond. I could never deal with one of those smart phones.
I would like to have a job, any job. But I can't even run a cash register.
If you paint, then that's what you do. Do it.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - I was at unemployment office yesterday - bullethead 18:04:10 07/08/17 (34)
- RE: I was at unemployment office yesterday - srdavis2000 11:06:17 07/09/17 (16)
- not at all times - bullethead 13:11:17 07/09/17 (15)
- RE: not at all times - painter27 16:46:30 07/09/17 (10)
- LOL! (nt) - bullethead 16:52:51 07/09/17 (9)
- RE: LOL! (nt) - JURB 12:31:43 07/10/17 (1)
- Best post EVER nomination! Nt - uncle mag 11:56:36 07/12/17 (0)
- RE: LOL! (nt) - painter27 17:15:02 07/09/17 (6)
- a speech to live by - bullethead 17:19:04 07/09/17 (5)
- RE: not at all times - srdavis2000 14:40:46 07/09/17 (1)
- RE: not at all times - bullethead 14:51:53 07/09/17 (0)
- RE: not at all times - double28 13:26:29 07/09/17 (1)
- RE: not at all times - bullethead 13:27:55 07/09/17 (0)
- Thought you were vaping? ^ - Road Warrior 21:45:41 07/08/17 (5)
- RE: Thought you were vaping? ^ - bullethead 07:57:25 07/09/17 (4)
- RE: Thought you were vaping? ^ - JURB 13:54:35 07/09/17 (1)
- RE: Thought you were vaping? ^ - bullethead 14:08:06 07/09/17 (0)
- Good move. We talk vaping and the next thing you know, it's mind control, Jeopardy, pizzas, and such.... - Road Warrior 12:46:09 07/09/17 (1)
- exactly - bullethead 13:25:35 07/09/17 (0)
- You paid in so why not? You deserve it - nt - AbeCollins 20:40:50 07/08/17 (10)
- i don't think so. - srdavis2000 11:19:53 07/09/17 (5)
- RE: i don't think so. - bullethead 13:17:39 07/09/17 (4)
- It is the employers responsibilty - Orchardist 07:26:26 07/09/17 (0)
- I guess - bullethead 05:47:34 07/09/17 (2)Follow Ups
- RE: a speech to live by - JURB 13:53:08 07/12/17 (0)