Home Whiner's Woad

Whining, swan dives and other inappropiate topics get moved here.

RE: Do magazines sell snake oil? How about a NOT RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS LIST?

>> "That they find more use in broad based surveys of equipment than individual reviews.">>

> Use? >

Main Entry: 2use
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'yüz
Inflected Form(s): used/'yüzd, in the phrase "used to" usually 'yüs(t)/ ; us·ing/'yü-zi[ng]/
transitive senses
1 archaic : ACCUSTOM , HABITUATE
2 : to put into action or service : avail oneself of : EMPLOY

>> "Given that major sections of such surveys include speakers does that make the belief that speakers make a difference a belief in snake oil?">>

> It's only a small sample that are being tested in the first place.>

Compared to a review of a particular speaker system it is far more comprehensive.

> How can anyone make "use" of such results without realizing they being oiled?>

Oiled?
Main Entry: oiled
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'o i(&)ld
1 : lubricated, treated, or covered with or as if with oil
2 slang : DRUNK

What are you trying to say?

> "Using" the results of such a survey ignores the whole world of unreviewed components.>

This is different from a review of a speaker system how? Other than the survey covers more products.

> The lists are snake oil and as such those who "use" the lists are guilty as charged.>

Do you know what words mean? the lists are "snake oil?"
All you can come up with is that surveys do not include every commercial product available to human kind? Well, no shit. I had no idea. I bet every reader thought Stereophile reviewed every product ever made in audio and either included them in their recomended components list or implied by ommission that they were crap. You are grasping at straws in defense of your original post.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.