Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Just for your info

Mostly what hospital grade gets you is a more rugged receptacle better able to cope with abuse....and really , superior blade retention. A good hospital grade receptacle and plug (cord cap) will make you feel like you are going to break the drywall or rip the whole nine yards out when you try to plug and unplug it.

As far as common mode and all of that with balanced power ....well just do a search and read and see what you think. It's pretty clear to me that you have a good deal of knowledge and I will leave it to you to decide it's merits or hype. I can only tell you that I feel it's well worth the money and effort. But I wouldn't pay $500 for an "audiophile" unit:).

If one was to try it the, first thing I think you would notice is a real total absence of background noise. You can fire up the system (phono stage even) and crank it to full volume and hear nothing....really you can't tell your equipment is on until you play something. Then little by little you notice a great increase in low level detail....stuff that was somehow hidden that you never missed...also a reduction in glare/hard edged transistor sound/digital artifacts.

It is not by any means a cure all for a bad system but instead something that helps all parts of a good system perform at their best. Just like the steps you have taken in the lab's electrical system. Likely the better the lab's euipment the more pains you would of taken rather than say the better equipment has less need for clean power due to it's superior filtration and such inside the equipment. Of course YMMV and certainly your stereo as well as incoming power all play a part in it's potential contribution in your household.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Just for your info - Russ57 15:46:40 01/01/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.