Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Need a little tuner advice my friends

I never thought too much about radio until I got a Fisher 400 and was floored by how good the FM sounded. But I have retired the Fisher in favor of a modded Dynaco 70/PAS combo. So I find myself looking for a decent cheap reliable tuner. For all of those reasons I am leaning towards solid state. Radio work/alignment ain't my thing! But maybe I am thinking all wrong. So I seek y'alls sage advice. Let's call the budget $100 more or less. I live in a Metro area so DX isn't important. But I do have one favorite public radio station that has a very weak signal. Most car radios won't pull it in but I generally don't have a problem at home. Just that it's a weak station halfway close to strong ones. I guess that means I want decent selectivity??? I do have a elcheapo rat shack outside mounted radio/TV antenna. Anyhow, any and all advice appreciated...even it's only to tell me that I had better up my budget as I won't be satisfied with a lower priced offering(I mean do I need 5+ gangs?). AM would be nice to have for the occasional football game but isn't a necessity. Good sound quality is the most important thing. I have owned a slew of vintage solid stae recievers and also have a newer adcom preamp with tuner, none of which have ever impressed me enough to desire a dedicated tuner. But boy that Fisher 400 does, and i miss it.....but I don't care to use it with tape out or anything like that....really don't have the room to spare.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Need a little tuner advice my friends - Russ57 11:05:33 12/31/03 (19)

You can not post to an archived thread.