Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

SOLVED, IT WORKS OK NOW!

Today I replaced the two 1N4007 diodes (in the correct way this time) and all seems to work well now, voltages are in the ok range, the anode of 6BQ5's at 405V, bias at -18 and -20 (not all 4 tubes have the same bias, but it's better than the -13 I had before the "accident").
So it seems that only the selenium rectifier was damaged by my friend (and it had to be replaced as well, for the low bias). No resistor was needed to balance voltage with the diodes.
All can caps seem to be still fine without (Jimmy you were right, no damage by a so little current capacity), so I didn't replace any of them.
Now the amp sounds fine and it is very quiet also with the ear very close to the speakers (only a very little hiss).
So this bad story has its nice end I want to say this is really a great forum, with a lot of nice guys really wanting to help.
I want to thank in particular Steven Oda for the continuous and patient assistance during my repair work, Jim McShane and Jimmy for their kind offerings to repair it for me, merccougar89 for offering to call me from USA to direct my repairing steps, Koo for pointing me to the wrong diodes connection, Russ57 for the many good suggestions, and everyone that answered to my post.
My biggest wishes to you all for an happy and prosperous 2004!
Raul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • SOLVED, IT WORKS OK NOW! - Raver 10:26:17 12/31/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.