Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Strange Sansui

I posted here a week or so ago about a dropout in the left channel. Thanks again - it's been fine ever since I cleaned some switches and pots. As I said in the last post, I found this amp out for the junk in the alley behind my house last summer. Now, I've had it hooked up to modded Magneplanar MG II's since last then. But here's the odd part. I've owned and also people have dropped by with high power transistor monoblocks and high power tube monoblocks (such as 225-watt VTLs). No amplifier that I've had in all these years has controlled the bass and had such a wonderful, detailed yet lush sound on those Maggies than this Sansui. The large thump of a full orchestra would make you jump out of your seat; the dynamic range is superb. So what I'm asking is why does a 25-year-old Sansui amp outperform these other amps? Some technical person out there have an explanation? We're not talking small, subtle differences here - we're talking large ones.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Strange Sansui - TeddiJackEddie 12:53:53 12/30/03 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.