Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: which mcintosh amp for klipsch cornwall

Well...If you can't afford the tube Mac you desire for your Cornwalls at the moment, then why go for an S/S Mac to begin with? Just kill two birds with one stone, IOW...invest a MINIMUM in a quality S/S match for your Cornwalls, so that you can commit the remaining savings toward your FUTURE purchase of a tube Mac. My suggestion would be to pick up an old H/K 430, 630, 730, or 930 S/S RECEIVER for duty with those Cornwalls until you have the bucks saved up for tubes. Any of these receivers can be had for around 125 bucks or less plus shipping from eBay on a regular basis..in EXCELLENT condition! They are all twin-powered designs, noise-free, have more than enough "oomph" to blow the windows out of your house at moderate volume settings with Cornwalls (even though they are CONSERVATIVELY rated at 25 wpc, 30 wpc, 35 wpc, and 45 wpc, respectively), and they have the added benefit of "woof-ticket"...IOW...when your friends hear the Cornwalls with one of these receivers, and ask you how many watts you are pushing and how much the unit cost, you can laugh as you tell them "this little old mid-70's H/K 430 only puts out 25 wpc, and I got it on eBay for 40 bucks plus shipping"...as you watch their jaws hit the floor! Then you can tell them "I managed to save 900 bucks to put toward a future Mac tube purchase in the deal, too!" If you doubt the performance of these old receivers with your Cornwalls, then go to the Klipsch website forum and ask about them in "two-channel"...you will be getting quite a few responses. Many of the regulars there have found them to be a great S/S match to the Heritage series speaker models, and the best bang for the buck around!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: which mcintosh amp for klipsch cornwall - H/K900+ 10:46:51 12/30/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.