Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Please help me troubleshoot Scott S-3 Speakers

Thanks for those that helped with my earlier post about my Scott S-3 speakers! I am trying to get these speakers playing again. The 10" woofers are working, but no mids or highs. I have verified that it is a problem with these speakers by substituting another different speaker into the system. I am thinking that the problem is most likely with the capacitors in the crossovers? The speakers have been in storage for about 10 years, so maybe the caps have dried up? I'm not sure what type of capacitors to use as replacements... The metal square can is labeled "SANCAMO 2mfd 600VDC" and the other small black tubular caps are labeled "20mfd 50VDC". I don't see any other markings or polarities shown. The two round devices in the middle are the rear of the rheostats for the mid and high level adjustments.

Is there a safe way to test each of the drivers separately outside of the crossover circuit? I guess it would be unlikely that all four of these drivers went bad.

Thanks,
Wes

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Please help me troubleshoot Scott S-3 Speakers - Wes C 19:53:52 12/29/03 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.