Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: fisher 500c restoration HELP!

The EH 7591 is a good sounding tube, with much better than the usual Sovtek/EH house sound. It is not quite a Westinghouse (or a Sylvania or GE for that matter), but is very acceptable in this instrument. It is certainly an upgrade over a tired, used up quad. But note that the EH is a very large tube, and will have height clearance problems with many cabinets. I have not yet formed an opinion as to longevity, as it has not been around long enough for me to do so. But I have so far had no problems with those units in which I have installed them.

As far as restoration is concerned, if you are going to do it yourself, then the fastest, most cost effective and best performance option is to order the parts from a major distributor like Mouser or Digikey. Total cost for passive parts is typically between $20 and $30, and you will get better quality, higher rated, parts than what Al packs.

The schematic for the 500C is public domain, so you can get a copy for free and figure out what you will need. Also check the archives, as volumes have been written about this model over the years concerning the parts and parts preferences. If still in doubt, write back and we will cobble together a parts list for you.

I cannot say that a 500C is a good first restoration project to the inexperienced, but it can be done competently and safely if time and care are taken.

I would avoid major mods, de-emphasis adjustments, and the like until after you have at least experienced the unit in stock topology.

Alternatively, if you want to have someone professionally recondition the instrument, Paul Grzybek is my first choice. He's competent, reasonable and trustworthy. But don't expect a 7 day turnaround as if you were doing the job yourself with any professional restorer, even Paul.

If you are completely retubing the instrument, including the IF stages, then you absolutely need a full alignment through the MPX subchassis. Budget another $100-150 for this service, which is essential and worth every penny. Do not attempt to align the unit yourself, as an inexperienced effort can result in not just further misalignment, but damage to the hard-to-replace IF transformers.

Someday, if I can ever find the time, I'll try to put together an FAQ with some replacement parts schedules. But this will have to do for now.

Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: fisher 500c restoration HELP! - sgmlaw 17:34:57 12/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.