Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

How hot is too hot?

I was running 7591 tubes at 3.2ma in my Fisher KX-200, then I found out that the resistor in between cathode and ground is 10 ohm instead of 1 ohm( on my guitar amp is 1 ohm), so I changed to 28.5ma/420v( the B+ was 460v, I placed a 65 ohm/5w resistor right after voltage doubler. Can I do that?). However, everything became much hotter. The tubes looks fine, but I'm worry about the transformers.
The power transformer is the hottest, but it not like the power resistors and the power tubes ( yes, I was stupid enough to touch those), my hand can still hold down on the power transformer without calling my mother. The output transformers are hot too, but they are right next to power tubes, and the chassis near those things are kind of hot, too.
Can anyone tell me, how hot is too hot? When the 7591's was running at 3.2ma, I can listen to music for hours without feel much heat from the amp. But now, after 20 minutes, I will strat to feel the heat. Should I worry about over heating the transformers? Or, it's normal for those kind of stereos?

Thank you

Yu-Po

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - How hot is too hot? - Po 02:03:02 12/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.