Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

DavidLD, Brian Levy: follow up on an earlier thread

WE had talked about the naturalness of the Advents and many of their contemporaries, versus the brightness of the newer,flatter response speakers. At that time, I commented that after a 24 days of live music on a trip, I came home and found my modified Polk RTi28's to be too bright and went back to my Double Advents.

I'm never one to leave well enough alone, so I dragged the Polks back out and tried a trick from Henry Kloss. I used a double layer of grill fabric over the tweeter on the Polks to attenuate the highs. The second layer being cut from some old Advent beige fabric I had saved. The results were that the sharp edges and "brittleness" were removed from the sound, but none of the clarity; and the overall sound was much more natural and lifelike. More similar to the Double Advents, but a bit more open sounding. Female vocals and strings, in particular, lost the hard edge, and vocal sibilents were less noticeable and less "spitty". The system is active biamped with a pair of Advents used as the bass drivers below 160 Hz. I'll evaluate this set up for a week or two and see if it "sticks". I'll also evaluate non-polar electrolytic caps versus the Solens that are in the Polks right now.

But so far, it's a good argument for the slightly rolled off top end we had talked about a while back. I think Kloss and others knew what they were about, and their musical perceptions were correct.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - DavidLD, Brian Levy: follow up on an earlier thread - Bold Eagle 09:53:10 12/28/03 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.