Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Is my old can cap O.K.?

Thank you, guys! This place is so cool, I've learn a lot just from reading the post.
When I was growing up, most of people have already listening
to C.D. players, but when I went to Hi-fi stores in Taiwan when I was in high school, I've seen new made tube stereo before( way too much for high school kids to even think about buying it).
Last year, it took 5 months for the local amp tech to change new tubes and a new input jack for my Marshll JTM45, so I thought I should learn how to change new tubes by myself, but I ended up re-build the whole thing, since it's so much fun!

I got the Fisher KX-200 form a local shop( a high school dream came true). It's so dirty, I don't think it's been used for a long time. The can caps looks original, since they all have Fisher's part number on it. I don't have a Variac, so after I unplug the tubes and checked a few things, I just power it up. Maybe it's me who killed the can caps. Sorry, old can caps, I killed you.
Since I couldn't find 200mf/250v caps, so I replace with two 220mf/250v caps. Will the bigger caps give the power transformer more stress and kill the transformer in the future? Also, I'm still using the 40mf/500v cap which is in the can with one of the broken cap. Will the 40mf/500v cap be effected by the broken cap, since they are in the same can?
Thank you for helping!
Yu-Po

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.