Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Recomendations on Marantz receivers.

Hi,

I've been considering purchasing a vintage reciever (or integrated)and have seen various of the Marantz models available online via ebay as well as bonafide dealers--I've seen prices anywhere from $150 to $400 depending on the model.

My current setup is as follows: Audio Refinement Integrated; Paradigm Studio 20 v.1 speakers; Rega Planet CD Player; NAD 533 turntable; Acuras P10 phono preamp; and, Onkyo T-4711 tuner. I listen to classic rock, jazz, big band and classical.

I'm just looking to have fun with some vintage 70's equipment to be used in an analog setup--at this point I'd be using the NAD 533 with the Paradigms.

I'm not looking for audio nirvana, just the musicality I remember as a teenager in the 70's. My question, then, is: for $150 to $400, assuming the unit is in good working condition, what Marantz models would you recommend to a non-technical enthusiast looking for plug-and-play enjoyment? I've seen positive posts concerning the 2226b, 2270, 2233 and so forth.

So, if you were going to pick up a vintage Marantz receiver, which would you choose and which would you avoid?

Currently Audio.net has a 2238 for $149; Soundclassics has a 2270 and 2215b for $350 and $125 respectively; and a local dealer, The Audio Studio in Boston has a 2245 for $345. Any thoughts on these units?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Merry Christmas,

Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Recomendations on Marantz receivers. - Steve W. 09:27:47 12/25/03 (20)

You can not post to an archived thread.