Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: VINTAGE STUPID - why not new

Well interesting post for me,

I've just gone through what you are considering. While a music lover in my earlier years ( concerts & bar bands) the demands of a career and family have short circuited much of my ability to enjoy the live music events I did in the past. In fact I had about $20k worth of audio equipment in storage for 13years up until about 2 years ago as the job and family were developed.

I'm sort of a vintage nut with the marantz 7, 8b, Citation II, quads all on hand and more. I love the look and sound of some of these vintage pieces...stuff I lusted for when I was a kid and could never afford .. Much of it past me by when I got old enough or got far too expensive. I have however given way to a modern source for vinyl. I found that within the amplifier realm vintage holds its own. With some modern upgrades to capacitors these old amps really give up very little to their similiarily powered modern counterparts. I have an old futterman amp that is not shamed by any means to similar type amps of today.

Having said all that, I put the Marantz 7, ARC SP3&8 on the shelf for a Aesthetix Io signature phono stage which is in the same price range of the pres that you mention. Is it $10,000 better than the Marantz or ARC ? well only you can justify that. It is better...for a far greater price. The Marantz is a classic that I could easily live with even with it's limitations..its also a beautiful piece.

Please don't modify it keep it stock ... Its value lies in its purest form without modifications.

Good Luck, AJ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: VINTAGE STUPID - why not new - AJ 09:06:03 12/25/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.