Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I thought this would be unpopular...

but as I see the other responses, it's obviously not. I thought people would be saying you MUST keep a vintage pre-amp or you must buy a $14,000 replacement. But so far, the responses have been way more open-minded, which is really good to hear, especially in a vintage forum. Now for my two cents worth. Every review of the Steelhead that I've ever read has been a rave, but have been written by people who have been known to have "lean" and "cold" systems. Secondly, I also agree with the other posts that $14000 could be better spent by taking the wife and going to Europe (great record shopping there); donating to charity; pay off some bills, etc. I know, I know, I'm going to get a post from a man who makes so much money as a lawyer, a doctor, or as an owner of an asbestos factory that he can afford $14000 on a pre-amp and do all those other things. Well, to answer it before it's asked, I think the donation to charity comes in there - there's a lot of people in the world this Christmas morning whose stomachs are growling from hunger. Maybe folks should get that into their Steelheads. On a brighter note, the Audio Advisor still has the Parasound NOS pre-amp for $250 and it has a real nice MM phono stage. If you take the cover off, you'll see it's loaded with designer parts like those used in much more expensive pre-amps. I have one and I use it with every kind of vintage tube amp you can think of - it sounds good and it's trouble free. And for $250, you can the leftover money for charity and a trip to Europe (in coach, though).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I thought this would be unpopular... - teddijackeddie 07:52:58 12/25/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.