Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Well, he spent a little more time than that...:-)

I'm sure fine tuning the voicing took more than a weekend, and there are some really tricky things going on with both the woofer and tweeter designs--so tricky that building suitable clone replacement drivers has proven close to impossible, even for companies intent on pursuing exactly that.

Building a speaker that sounded as good or better than his former employers AR-3a esp in the deep bass was the ulitimate put down of Kloss's former employer and marked the end of AR's dominance in the bookshelf (if you can call a 3a or an Advent bookshelf) sealed-box speaker market.

Part of my frustration with the whole higher end DIY thing is that I thought I would easily run into designs that were so clearly superior to the LA that I would quickly want to toss my Large Advents out on the curb and replace them with either a DIY design, KIt or semi-commercial design. Hasn't happened. Don't think it's gonna happen. The vast majority of DIY and semi-commercial units I have heard seem balanced all wrong for my ears, with a rising and overly-exaggerated top end and nothing even remotely comparable to Advent woofer bass. I'm happily seated in row 15 of the concert hall, not seated among the musicians! Some of the cloth dome tweeters seem to have a bit better dispersion that the LA particularly above 12 KHz, but very few of them will operate sucessfully as low as the Advent tweeter, and the DIYers struggle to get even an 8-inch woofer to work in a modern 2-way design, let alone a 10+ inch woofer. And good commercial cone-dome Mid-tweets that would work like a LA tweeter are nearly impossible to find any more. I'm close to quitting my DIY and kit-building efforts entirely and go back to my Advents and EPIs, where I'm happy.

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.