Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: one that got away

ouch...oddly enough, I was on the other end of a similar situation on Friday. I was in an antique/funky junk store and I noticed a Pro-Ject turntable cover in the back of a pile of vintage electronics (mostly battered and worn out Yorx crap). I thought that it probably was just a cover on a low end tt, but to my surprise there was a Pro-Ject 1.2 tt with a Blue Point cartridge (about $700-800Cdn for both) underneath and it looked like it was in excellent shape. The price was $40Cdn, so I asked the owner if he had plegged it in and he said that it started up fine. So I paid for it and while I was at the register he first tried to "upsell" me to a late 80s Fisher tt, he said it did way more than the one I was buying, and then he asked if I was the guy who had called yesterday. I said no, and he told me that somebody called and seemed interested in the Pro-Ject tt, but couldn't make it in til Saturday. I asked if he wanted the owner to hold the tt, and the owner said he did, but wouldn't leave a deposit to hold it. I'm sure he showed up on Saturday and was a wee bit upset at himself for not leaving a deposit. All I can say is that if you find and $800 tt and cart setup for $40 leave the deposit and then make tracks down to the store. At that price it would have been pretty hard to go wrong.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: one that got away - Mostly Marantz 20:54:04 12/22/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.