Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Advent clarification question

There definitely needs to be more info on which Advent your'e comparing to the Legacy's. Meanwhile, I can give you my take on the difference between the Original Large Advents simply called "The Advent Speaker" by the company. This Large Advent is the highest regarded Advent speaker by most people. It has the masonite ring around the 10' woofer mounted in a 12" frame, and the orange rolled ring tweeter mounted on a raised masonite panel. That tweeter also handles a big share of the midrange response. I have two pair of these LA's stacked and I have a pair of legacy II'S. And a pair of Advent Prodigy Towers. The Legacy's and the Prodigy Towers were really third generation "Non-Kloss" designed units after Jensen took over the company. The Legacy's are great speakers in my opinion. They have great bass response and a nice silky high end. They were supposedly voiced like the Originals. Although they don't have the same phenominal bass response that the originals do they do have a little sweeter tuned high end for smooth jazz and such. The Legacys are a great choice. The hipe and the prestige envolved with the Originals is part of their appeal but their ultra high reputation is well earned in my opinion. A pair of LA"S is hard to beat! Bass response down to a true 30cps, an open dynamic midrange, and accurate and sweetly sudued high end response! That high frequency response is what takes some people a while to get used to. It has an unstrained clarity and it is accurate and uncolored where most of it's modern counterparts tend to enhance the high frequencies. But trust me once your ears get used to accurate you don't want to go back to a colored sound. The LA'S are very comfortable and not fatiguing. Then theres the stacked LA'S which is really in another league completely! To me if you take all those afore mentioned assets and add a huge soundstage and an unbelievable bass response and dynamic range double LA'S would have to rank in the top 10 or possibly the top 5 speaker systems available old or new and regardless of price! They do need to be awakened with a little power to get the "extra goody "out of them. If you have 40-50+ watts per side of good vintage power you can really FEEL the LA'S! The Legacys are more efficent but I don't think that's much of an issue. Of course all this analysis depends on which Advent you have but regardless my bet is you've got some good ones. Enjoy! Franksta

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.