Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: POLL - What is your favorite receiver? Why?

I know everybody gets tired of my answer, they have heard it so much! But I must represent!! The Harman Kardon HK-730 hands down! Why? Here we go again.......

1. Dual power supplies! Absolutely the best feature a solid state amp can have IMHO.
2. Two of every input - 2 phonos - 2 tape decks - 2 auxillary
3. The tuner section - Excellent! good enough to use on it's own.
4. Build quality! Every bit as good as Marantz or dare I say "better"!
5. Styling, very clean and understated! Cool green and red!
6. Great phono section!
7. Power Bandwidth - 10Hz-40kHz <0.1% THD, Freq. Resp. 4HZ-130kHz +/-0.5dB., Damping Factor >30 @1kHz@1watt Sensitivity, FM IHF 1.9uV
8. Based on all the above factors an amp section with 40 watts RMS/channel @ 8 ohms <0.1% THD that truly sounds like 75-100 watts!
9. With the tech manual it has a fairly easy to understand circuitry and it's easy to change lamps and make adjustments to. It has a solid chassis and things are bolted in well, access from bottom and top so you can easily clean the pots and selector contacts!
10. If you get a good one and you probably will, It has an unexplainable magical warm tube like quality to it's sound, especially when paired with vintage accoustic suspension speakers. A "sweet bass heavy pleasant distortion" if you will. kind of like the Comb filter affect I suppose. I've always told people it sounds like it's sucking the air out of the room! If you haven't heard it you don't know yet!

Other than that, it's just an average receiver! Best! Franksta

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: POLL - What is your favorite receiver? Why? - Franksta 12:06:26 11/25/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.