Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: McIntosh MR67 or MR71 Tuner?

Hi,

I have owned both. I have had the two versions of the MR-67 and right now have the early version produced in the first half of 1963. All in all I perfer the MR-67 for sound quality. But I admit I am now looking for another MR-71. I recently had my MR-67 converted with the Modafferi Modification and the difference is night and day. I have always been one against any modifications but decided to take the plunge on the 67. It is well worth the money for Rich's modification. The cost is $600.00 plus shipping but I have not regreted it for one minute. It is almost 3-D with a great balance from top to bottom. There is an open sound and the background is black quiet. Even if you decide not to mod your unit I would recommend you send it to Rich to go over.

Both tuners are great. I like the MR-67 a bit more but to each his own. All of our ears hear something different. As I stated I am looking for another MR-71. As goldenthal stated the MR-78 is a winner in the solid state dept.. I own one of those and swear by it. Another tuner would be the MR-77. A real bargain today.

Hope this helps.Good luck with your search. You can't go wrong with either.
PRM

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: McIntosh MR67 or MR71 Tuner? - PRM 16:24:07 11/02/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.