Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: McIntosh MR67 or MR71 Tuner?

I've had both, and at the same time. With my samples, there was little if any sonic difference between them. For that matter, the RF sections seemed to be pretty close - the MR71 did a tad better with marginal signals.

The condition of the units will probably make far more difference than anything else. In good shape they will both perform well and sound good. If there is any rust or corrosion, check the IF Filter transformers (5 I think), and make sure they can be adjusted - sometimes the adjustment parts corrode solid to the metal cans encasing them, and when that happens, your tech person will have to remove each from the chassis, disassemble it, make the adjustment, re-solder it to the chassis, and then see if the adjustment is correct. This can make alignment an expensive proposition.

That said, both tuners are quite something. No PC boards - all point-to-point wiring, and beautifully, beautifully done. Richard Modaferri claims he can make an MR71 into a "10B killer" and I have no reason to doubt him. (BTW, due to the cost of keeping these old things up to par, I opted for the MR77, which you can sometimes get for a song, and which sounds almost as good as the tube units. Enjoy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: McIntosh MR67 or MR71 Tuner? - Bill Way 15:27:41 11/02/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.